Search This Blog

Friday, February 11, 2011

No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (TV)




One of the best TV series I've seen in a long time. Once I started watching the DVDs I could not stop. It makes you laugh, cry, and feel warm inside. Beautifully adapted and filmed on location in Botswana, the TV series are not only impeccably faithful to the tone and descriptions in the original books, but added a bit more realism and even grit to the stories.

If I have to guess, most of the actors are American or British. All excellent. Jill Scott, a fairly famous American jazz musician/singer, is simply perfect. I marvel at whoever did the casting because every character seems to have walked straight out of the books.

The music is also fantastic, primarily African with modern and jazz flavors.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would give cretdit to the late Anthony Minghella who started the project and directed the first episode. AMS himself was also an advisor.

Little Meatball said...

哦对,这部戏就是 Mighella 的 baby。可惜他早逝,否则不会拍了第一季就没有下文了。真是人走茶凉 ...

The Ending of Le Samourai (1967), Explained

A quick online search after watching Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samourai confirmed my suspicion: The plot is very rarely understood b...