Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Savannah 2



River Street was quite short. Walking from one end to the other took about 15 minutes. It was still chilly on the day I arrived; on the day I left the weather warmed up considerably. The sun was so bright it made me blink. "Sittin' on the dock of the bay ..." The song came to my mind.

On the last evening, I walked along the river, tourists rushing by me, warm sugary breeze drifting from two candy stores on River Street. In one of the stores, a toy train was clunking its way above our heads on a winding track hanging from the ceiling. Barrels of candy glistened in the light. The cynic in me suspected the authenticity of all this antiquity, but I couldn't really believe my doubts. The houses were real. The wood floor and creaky stairs were real. The dark, exposed stone walls were real. You can't fake this. On the first floor was Vic's coffeehouse, a bare and shabby place in which elaborate and gigantic wedding candles were displayed on wooden shelves that had long lost their colors. All handmade. You can order your own. Yet up the creaky stairs and across the wooden floor, I walked into a chic and modern restaurant with a sparkling bar --- Vic's restaurant.

I sat down at the bar near the window. To my right was a striking young woman with a milky neck and creamy shoulders, jet-black hair cut boyish short and gelled spiky. She was Lisbeth Salander cool. For half an hour she sat and played on her iPhone, then got up and left. Another art student, I thought. Maybe.

The restaurant was crowded. I could get only a stool at the bar. I ordered sea scallops with crab risotto. Instead of bread I was given two warm buttermilk biscuits, whipped fresh butter, and homemade orange marmalade -- not too sweet and filled with chunks of orange. That, my friend, was comfort food. I almost wept with joy and longing. Outside, night was descending on the river. From the window one could looked down onto the black current and pearls of light from docked boats.

Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay

2 comments:

Unknown said...

两三百年的老房子,石墙木地板和楼梯,在家底比较丰厚的南方,大概还是有的,不需要fake吧。喜欢石子路。好象还有有轨电车?

海鲜和果酱奶油面饼一起吃,很特别哦。

Little Meatball said...

房子肯定是真的棉花仓库,但是这些糖果店咖啡馆之类的,我觉得是仿古。

The Ending of Le Samourai (1967), Explained

A quick online search after watching Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samourai confirmed my suspicion: The plot is very rarely understood b...